Thursday, March 11, 2010

Whispering vocals

I've always been kinda hung up on authenticity and it tends to colour what music I like. I like unusual voices but I turn off if I think the style seems too forced -- like the recent procession of bands with crazy/old man vocals. There's something about singing in your normal voice that seems honest and genuine.

Of course this thinking's rigid and completely self-defeating. What I'm reacting to is probably not aesthetic conceit, but obvious aesthetic conceit; bad craft. Surely there's room to add a bit of colour. Not to mention that when I sing in my normal voice, I feel it's a little bland.

Something else occurred to me as I listened to the halting, whispering vocals of Doveman -- ordinarily I might've started thinking that perhaps the whisper was a little precious. But I remember that when I was trying to learn a new song recently I sung in a whisper 'cause I wasn't sure of the tune and didn't want to loudly commit to the wrong note. When you're using a softer voice, mistakes are less obvious and matter less. So it could be that singing softly allows more creativity. Like using scrap paper instead of a Moleskine journal when you're brainstorming visual ideas.

I started to like the whisper. And why shouldn't it be carried into the final version after the song's been finished? It sounds more interesting anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment